Monday, May 5, 2008

Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler

Made this one up, and it came out great! Very exciting. Inspired by the strawberry-rhubarb-peach pie in VWaV, and the arrival of spring produce at the farmer's market.
Ingredients:
Filling
2 cups strawberries, finely chopped
3 stalks rhubarb, finely chopped
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp arrowroot
1/4 tsp vanilla

Topping

1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 + 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 tbsp turbinado sugar
1/4 cup very cold earth balance, sliced thin
1 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 425
  2. Put the fruit and walnuts in a medium bowl and toss with the sugar and spices
  3. Stir in the arrowroot, then stir in the vanilla
  4. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and spices
  5. Stir in the sugar and oats
  6. Cut in the earth balance with two knives or a pastry blender, until crumbly
  7. Gently stir in the vanilla
  8. Pour fruit mixture into greased glass baking dish and sprinkle on topping
  9. Bake for 30 minutes, until fruit is bubbling and topping is browned
I intended to make this in a 9" square dish, but when I went to get it from the cabinet I remembered it's still at my office with whatever is left of the brownies from last week. Clearly I am baking too much lately. I made it in a loaf pan instead, which worked just fine, but the ratio of fruit to topping would be even better in a shallower dish. We ate this hot with Soy Dream french vanilla, which may be my new favorite soy cream. It has a creamier texture than Purely Decadent and is less sugary than Temptation.
I've never cooked with rhubarb before, I thought it would require much more effort than it actually does. I love the tart-ness it gives the cobbler. Amazing how it looks so much like celery, and yet tastes so different...

No comments: