Thursday, May 1, 2008

Curried Tofu and Mashed Potatoes

I love Veganomicon. I really do. But I don't love the curried tofu recipe.

I should start out by admitting my bizarre failing with baked tofu. I don't know why, but I seem to screw it up every time. It should be very simple, but I either forget to slice the tofu before marinating it or put the pieces in a bowl they won't fit into or forget to flip it or on and on and on. It always ends up seeming like a lot more work than it should be. One day I'll get the hang of it.

I've tried this recipe twice, since the first time I messed it up in multiple ways. Most egregiously I used 1/4 tbsp of curry powder instead of a 1/4 cup, and I used some dried cumin instead of cumin seeds. It wasn't bad but mostly tasted like soy sauce.

I actually liked it better this way than the second time, when I got the spices right. I love curry powder, but 1/4 cup of dried spice on tofu...just not working for me. It tasted kind of gritty and flat. Oh well.


I wanted to make mashed potatoes with it, and I always try and make these healthier by using as little fat as possible. Usually I mash 'em with just a little soy milk, but this time I used the leftover marinade from the tofu. It was actually pretty tasty, if I do say so myself. Since I won't be trying the tofu recipe again I think I'll try mashed potatoes with a little olive oil, vegetable broth, curry powder and cumin next time I make an Indian dish.

3 comments:

LK Sisters said...

Nice blog!
I wanted to comment on this post, even though it is from early May, because I love the Curry baked tofu from Veganomicon.

I love the flavor and chewiness of it baked. It's almost like the tofu is crusted. That's too bad that it didn't work out for you. What's your favorite marinade for tofu?

Kate said...

I also cannot master the baked tofu. Everyone talks about how chewy, crusty, and wonderful it is (like the above commenter) and I just can't do it. Mine is still the regular old tofu consistency with a bit of sauce on it. There is no seperate layer of awesome and mine is certainly not like the good stuff they have at restaurants (with that darker brown skin) I'm still working on it, but to no avail.

Fueled by Tofu said...

i also tried the curried tofu recipe from veganomicon, and i have to say she used way too much curry powder! it was overpowering. i think i'll try it again with one tablespoon of powder instead