These are modified from Vegan With a Vengeance. I made them the original way once and *loved* them. I can't say these are just as good, but they are still very very good, and I feel less guilty eating them. The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup of oil, I used just 1 tbsp and added 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce. I also added a dash of baking soda, and made all the spice measurements heaping.
They taste almost the same, but the texture is a lot different - stickier and denser. They still have a ton of sugar - over a cup - but I didn't want to play around with too many variables at once. I'm thinking about trying agave with these, any suggestions?
I was tagged by the awesome Bianca to name five things about myself, so here goes:
1. I used to be a crazy picky eater. The list of things I would eat was under 20 items, and most of them were white. I didn't branch out until after college, and now there's only a few things I won't eat (not counting all the non-vegan foods, of course).
2. A few months ago I got very sick after traveling to Costa Rica. Turns out it was a parasite - eww!
3. I have a great job with an amazing perk - paid gym time. We can work out for 3 hours a week, on the clock, in the on-site gym.
4. My shower curtain has rubber duckies on it. I have a rather juvenile sense of decor, or so I've been told.
5. I don't like cooking with cast iron. I know it's supposed to be better, but I've always cooked with non-stick and I find anything else traumatic.