Friday, May 30, 2008

Low Fat Pumpkin Muffins

These are modified from Vegan With a Vengeance. I made them the original way once and *loved* them. I can't say these are just as good, but they are still very very good, and I feel less guilty eating them. The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup of oil, I used just 1 tbsp and added 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce. I also added a dash of baking soda, and made all the spice measurements heaping.
They taste almost the same, but the texture is a lot different - stickier and denser. They still have a ton of sugar - over a cup - but I didn't want to play around with too many variables at once. I'm thinking about trying agave with these, any suggestions?

I was tagged by the awesome Bianca to name five things about myself, so here goes:

1. I used to be a crazy picky eater. The list of things I would eat was under 20 items, and most of them were white. I didn't branch out until after college, and now there's only a few things I won't eat (not counting all the non-vegan foods, of course).

2. A few months ago I got very sick after traveling to Costa Rica. Turns out it was a parasite - eww!

3. I have a great job with an amazing perk - paid gym time. We can work out for 3 hours a week, on the clock, in the on-site gym.

4. My shower curtain has rubber duckies on it. I have a rather juvenile sense of decor, or so I've been told.

5. I don't like cooking with cast iron. I know it's supposed to be better, but I've always cooked with non-stick and I find anything else traumatic.

2 comments:

Bianca said...

Great five things! I think going vegan makes you a less picky eater because I use to hate onions, beets, mushrooms, and all sorts of other veggies until I went vegan. And now I can't think of one vegan-friendly food that I won't eat.

Paid gym time at work?! Sweet. I have to pay $50 a month for my gym... :-(

BTW, those muffins look fantastic. I'll have to try them...I haven't fully explored the dessert section in the Nomicon yet.

Alicia said...

I also love my non-stick pan over all other things ;-).
You are so lucky to have paid gym time at work!
The muffins look great and, if I know I'm going to eat all of them anyway, I'd rather have them healthy...