Sunday, May 4, 2008

Risotto and Roasted Carrots

Friday night I made risotto from another ppk.com recipe. I made this once before for my grandfather, following the basic recipe and adding a whole bunch of cremini mushrooms. It was rich and yummy and everyone loved it. This time I skipped the mushrooms and followed Anna's suggestion to add a can of pureed pumpkin and a 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts. It's a toss up as to which is better, but they're both amazing. Pretty quick and easy to make too. With oil and mushrooms it has a very savory and rich flavor; the pumpkin makes it much creamier and almost adds a cheesy taste.

To go with it I roasted a bunch of carrots with olive oil and an insane amount of minced ginger. Not the most balanced meal, as it's lacking a significant source of protein, but quite tasty and filling. It makes a *ton* of food, too - my boyfriend generally eats about 3 servings of any given dish at a time, we had some leftovers tonight and there's still a big portion left, which by my math makes it more than 8 servings.

No comments: