Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Clif, Lara and Luna bar recall

Sigh. Wouldn't it be great if being vegan kept us completely safe from scary food poisoning? At least we don't have to worry about all the tainted meat scandals. But bad things can happen even to wonderful foods like spinach, peppers, and peanut butter.

In case you missed it, Clif, Luna and Lara bars containing peanut butter have all been (voluntarily) recalled due to a risk of salmonella contamination. Here's a list from Whole Foods of recalled products that they sell.

Not long ago I bought two big cases of Clif Bar variety packs from Costco, one for me and one as a gift for a friend. I've already eaten a bunch of them, but had to throw out the rest. I guess I need to buy my friend a replacement gift, too. The risk is very small, but certainly not worth taking!

I called Clif Bar & Co (1-800-CLIFBAR) about a refund and they were very nice on the phone. You don't need a receipt for a refund, just tell them how many bars you're throwing out and give them the sell-by codes. They told me I should get a refund check in 3 to 4 weeks.

All the more reason to try my hand at making some more of my own energy bars!

2 comments:

Bianca said...

That's great that they're offering refunds! But how in the world does that stuff get into peanut butter. I understand factory farm runoff making its way to spinach and tomatoes...but peanuts! Holy crap!

I just bought a jar of Earth Balance peanut butter at Whole Foods last week. I hope its okay. I've already eaten quite a bit of it and I'm still alive so...I guess it is?

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I am so thankful my precious pb&co peanut butters haven't been affected... and that my favorite Jocalat bars don't have peanuts in them!